Thursday, January 17, 2008

Endless Snow


"See the snow and how it squashes.
Galumpf, galumpf go my galoshes"- Author unknown


This was one of my favorite poems as a child. It's best when read out loud. 
More snow falls today. I am not complaining, mind you. If you are going to live in the upper midwest, the snow is one of the more favorable accompaniments to the cold. There is nothing more depressing than a bare, dry and cold Wisconsin winter. So, let is snow, let it snow, let it snow.
The snow has a lovely muffling effect on the noises of the cars outside. I like to watch it pile up on the wrought iron railing outside my bedroom window. I don't even mind shoveling, really. There is something quite satisfying about it. The marks of your shovel are like raking a Zen garden.  You ask yourself, do I shovel just a path for people to get by or do I clear the entire width of the sidewalk? We live on a corner. I am often too lazy to shovel the entire width of both sidewalks. But then, inevitably, after I am inside and dry, I look out and regret that I didn't just clear it all.

No comments: